- May 24, 2018
- No Comments
BBQ season is here! Take a break from the traditional burger and try our recipe for a nutrient dense and satiating veggie burger. This is a client favorite and paired with baked sweet potato fries and a simple green salad makes for the perfect meal.
Sweet Potato and Black Bean Veggie Burger (Serves: 8)
- 1.5 lbs sweet potatoes
- 1/3 cup uncooked millet
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 15 oz can organic black beans, rinsed and drained
- ½ small red onion
- ½ cup fresh cilantro leaves, chopped
- 2 tsp cumin powder
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp cayenne powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- ½ tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Slice sweet potatoes down the center, lengthwise and then place them, cut side down, on a baking sheet. Roast them until they yield a gentle squeeze, about 30-40 minutes.
- Remove the sweet potatoes from oven and once cool enough to touch, remove the skin. Set aside to cool completely.
- In the meantime, cook the millet in a small saucepan until tender, then cool.
- Grind oats in a blender or food processor, leaving some texture.
- Combine all ingredients with your hands until a dough-life consistency is formed and the ingredients hold together nicely. Portion and shape burgers and then refrigerate until cool.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a parchment lined baking sheet with olive oil and bake the burgers for 30-40 minutes, flipping halfway.
- Allow to cool before serving! Pair with sweet potato fries and a side salad.